Ascended man on Live National Television 2013

For general discussion of topics that don't have a specific theme, questions or suggestions for research.

Moderator:daniel

infinity
Mage
Mage
Re: Ascended man on Live National Television 2013

Post by infinity » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:36 am

What he did was definitely for the purpose of entertainment.

Yes there's a lot of things that make him seem like he's using tricks of illusion to make it seem like he's doing something extraordinary.

But what I appreciate about it is that it inspires curiosity into the legitimate use of knowledge that isn't based on mainstream science. Even if its completely fake (and I'm not convinced it is despite the flair, context, and doubts), it does demonstrate a practical application of a real technology.

After all, as the saying goes, if technology is advanced enough, people will refuse to believe its anything other than magic.

My biggest concern for its legitimacy is whether any monastery would entrust their secrets to a street performing magician. Despite the fact that he might not have been one at the time of learning what he might have learned from the monks.

Djchrismac
Adept
Adept

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 am

infinity wrote:What he did was definitely for the purpose of entertainment.

Yes there's a lot of things that make him seem like he's using tricks of illusion to make it seem like he's doing something extraordinary.

But what I appreciate about it is that it inspires curiosity into the legitimate use of knowledge that isn't based on mainstream science. Even if its completely fake (and I'm not convinced it is despite the flair, context, and doubts), it does demonstrate a practical application of a real technology.

After all, as the saying goes, if technology is advanced enough, people will refuse to believe its anything other than magic.

My biggest concern for its legitimacy is whether any monastery would entrust their secrets to a street performing magician. Despite the fact that he might not have been one at the time of learning what he might have learned from the monks.
I agree, it is entirely possible to do this and good that he is mentioning chakra's and showing many people something new but if he was genuine then the last place you would see him is on a crap tv show, it will make many people think such 'magic' is a parlour trick and then not bother to investigate it further as they associate the guy more with being a performer/magician.
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

soldierhugsmember
Adept
Adept

Post by soldierhugsmember » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm

CircleofOne
Inquirer
Inquirer

Post by CircleofOne » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 pm